4.24.2011

Morocco!!!

I know this is really late but a few weeks ago I had the absolute pleasure of going to Morocco, Africa with my program. It was paid for because I went with my program but we only had a total of 3 days. If you take a look at a map you'll notice that Morocco is the door to Africa. They're only separated by a 2 hour ferry ride! Morocco is a totally different country (and continent) but it has firm Spanish and French roots. It was under French rule until about 60 years ago but is a Muslim country so they speak Arabic and French as their official languages. In the northern parts (where we were) they also speak Spanish because of the geographical connection. We went to Tangier, Tetuan, and Chaouen.

First view of Africa! Border control.

A banquest hall type thing...

We went to a vocational/trade/art school.




It was all really pretty.


I love markets!
 Click below for more!



We ate 2 meals at this restaurant.


Kebabs...delicious

Couscous! I need this recipe!

Never underestimate oranges with cinnamon.

Cookies and tea after every meal. I love this country.

More outdoor economy.


Yes that's fresh fish in an open air market.







Shoes for everyone!



Henna and other natural remedies!

we briefly visited a leather factory.


Fish for dinner.

I felt super rich. 70 euros= 750 Moroccan dirhams.


Highlight of the trip: The Coca Cola factory!

Outfits are always fun.


Why Coke manages to be successful in every single culture.


Salad?

A wrap thing...delicious. Kind of sweet.

We went to a cave with the the shape of Africa carved into it.

Camel time!!!

Ready

Set

Go!

The down is the hard part

Just chillin....

Bonding with the camels.




More kebabs.


Chaouen is a village known for the blue paint...everywhere.









Pretty door :)




"Please don't throw trash on the ground."



A friend and I viewing the city from above.





2 modes of transportation :)

I WILL be returning some day because 3 days was not long enough!  We didn't even get to see the major cities like Rabat, Meknes, Fes, Casablanca, or Marrakech. I didn't even shop as much as  I wanted.

Alot about the trip reminded me of Peru. In the "this is a 3rd world country" kind of way. While I prefer developing country, there were some similarities. Bartering, which is one of my favorite things. The water was not drinkable-it's very difficult to brush your teeth with bottles water. And just generally about the mountainous country sides and the people staring at us because they're not used to seeing alot American tourists. All in all it made me miss Peru. I think I appreciate the countries that aren't so "European" and perfect. Spain an Europe in general are run like a well tuned machine tourist wise. Every little town has a tourist office and everything is very organized. I think that most non-european countries have more flavor and more suspense and excitement. I'm not saying Spain isn't amazing but sometimes it's good to stay at a 3 star hotel with flickering lights that can't handle 100 american students...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...