1.27.2011

10 Interviews. 2 Hours. VAMOS!

So on Tuesday I had the most frightening experience of my life so far. I had to interview for an internship, en ESPAÑOL. I have never really had to interview for a job and then to have to do it in spanish after being here for less than a week?!



The way it works is CIEE has a network of business, about 30, that want interns. We went to a hotel banquet room where most of the businesses were gathered to interview on the spot. It was like a career fair... or speed dating. Beforehand we were given a folder with short profiles of all the businesses so that we could have a better idea of what we wanted to do before we got there. So I went in with a list of 10 businesses that I was interested in, thinking that I would only get to do maybe half.

I generally hat einterviews and anything where I have to talk about myself. That's pretty much what an interview is: you brag about yourself and tell them why you deserve the job. That's easy for some people never for me. So imagine the apprehension and nerves you get when you have to do an interview, then multiply that exponentially when it has to be done in spanish. I was nervous out of my mind. Would they understand me? What if I said sometihng wrong? Would I be able to think of anything (right or wrong)? What if they think I'm a complete imbecil???

I won't say that all of that went away but I somehow managed to turn it into positive and productive energy. I interviewed with about 5 companies that I wasn't originally interested in just to warm up and then interviewd with 5 that I originally was. Just as any interview goes, some of them were really nice and we clicked well, and others not so much.

I got a practica (internship) with Instituto San Fernando!

I'm not sure how I managed it but here are a few tips:
  • Smile. Do it when you meet them and periodically through out the conversation. When appropriate of course.
  • Nod your head to show understanding or at least attention. Alot of the interviewers spoke too fast or were just really boring. I nodded my head to show I was paying attention even though they had lost my attention.
  • Make eye contact. This is something that you should master for everything. For me, it's the most important part of communication. It helped to show that I was engaged in the conversation and is kind of a sign of respect.

That's pretty much all I remember doing. But I guess I did it well! I'll give more info on what the business is and what I'll have to do when I get it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...