1.27.2011

A WEEK!












I can't believe I've been here for a week already! It feels like I've been here longer. So much is going on that time just kind of flies. In the past week I've bought a phone, toured a palace, explored my neighborhood, started intensive classes, done too much homework, interviewed for an internship, recieved the internship, and walked millions (or just tens) of miles.




I am tired and have homework to do. But I'm happy. The city is really beautiful and European. I keep getting lost on purpose just so I can wander the streets. The streets in the center of the city are more like alleys. They're  all old and really narrow so you have to walk slowly and close to the buildings and watch out for cars because in the states a car wouldn't fit. But here a car makes it fit. I literally hold my breath everytime I see a car turning down an alley because it looks like the car will either get stuck or scrape the buildings!

Everyday seems to bring a new challenge or surprise and all I can really do is roll with it.

Classes
Right now I'm taking 2 weeks of "intensive spanish for business students." Its probably one of the most intense spanish classes I've taken. It's definitely more intense than the session in Peru and in terms of homework it's more intense than the intense thing in Argentina. Not only is there alot of work to do in class but there's even more work to do outside of class. The classes are only 3 hours a day so then there's homeowrk in the afternoon. I have 3 projects where I have to interview 3 spaniards (one due tomorrow) plus a group presentation. PLUS 2 tests! Intense is an understatement. Plus it's not easy because the focus isn't on grammar but business terms and things like that. So I have to spend alot of time on homework because I'm not familiar with business terms.

Mi Casa
I'm still getting adjusted to my house. It's in a really good part of the city and really close to transportation and what not. It's just a lady and her 8 year old son. It takes a little getting used to because they also have a cat and the last time I lived with an 8 year old was when I was one! The good part is that I'm less than 20 minutes from la facultad (the school) and the same distance to the CIEE offices.

Weather
The weather isn't that bad but I'm always cold. The sun came out for the first time in a few days today. It was drizzling. The temperature is in the 30s and 40s but it's reallly windy. And there's no heat in the houses. So basically I walk everywhere outside and I'm freezing, then I come home and I'm freezing. I think it's colder in the house than outside. The floors are tile and the walls are not wood so I wear socks, slippers, pants, and a sweater inside the house.



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...