7.30.2010

On the Issue of BLENDING

I considered Peru because I thought I might be able to blend a little. By blend I of course mean racially and physically. As I learned a few months ago, the Argentine people are more of the European (read: caucasian) persuasion. I was kind of surprised to see more blond, blue eyed people. But when I finally did a little research on Peru, most of the pictures were of people who were a little closer to my complexion. As I read though, I learned that the people in Lima are mostly criollo which just means that they're more fair skinned and people are racist against the darker peruvians. There is a small percentage of Afro-Peruvians, which can be found around Lima but the population of Asians and Afro-Peruvians combined is less than 3%.

Am I scared that I may somehow encounter racism or some kind of discrimination? No, because no matter how much I try to blend in, I'll still quite obviously be a foreigner. I still think that once I figure out where I'm going and start to act like the people, I'll start to look like the people. It's more about attitude. Plus even if I could blend in skin tone wise, once they see the fro, they'll know I don't belong. And in case you're wondering, in a group of about 20, there's one other black girl and 2 asians.

Nos vemos!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...