11.18.2010

Arequipa, Puno, Lake Titicaca

It feels like it's been soooo long since I posted anything. Time flies when you're having fun I guess. But the only truly interesting thing that has happened is that I went to Arequipa about 2 weekends ago with a few friends. We had a simply delightful and jam packed weekend. The only bad news is that most pictures of me are on their cameras so I have to wait for them to appear on facebook. 

Arequipa is something like the 2nd largest city in Peru. I really liked it. More than I liked Cusco. It was like a cleaner, nicer, less touristy Cusco.  It was so much more relaxed and there was sun! Being in Lima where there's generally no sun or only a few hours at a time has made me appreciate the simple things in life. There's not a whole lot to do in Arequipa so we really only spent about a day exploring the city.

We went to Puno which is a small town about 6 hours outside of Arequipa. We took a bus and spent the night and then woke up bright and early to go to Lake Titicaca. The lake is like one of the wonders of the world. It's something like the biggest lake AND people live in man made isalnds. We took a tour of a group of islands called Los Uros. It was a beautiful day and the people were so hospitable and nice. We even got to try on a woman's clothes as we toured her one room hut.

The other highlight of the trip was the day we spent in Colca Canyon. The canyon is a few hours outside of Arequipa and it was pretty cool too. Some people choose to trek it over a course of days but none of us had the right shoes (lol) so we decided to do the tour bus. The bus picked us up at 3 AM and while we spent most of the day on the bus, it was still a pretty cool day. Most people go to the canyon to see the flight of the condor, which is the largest bird ever. We got there kind of late so we only saw about too but I wasn't that disappointed. I've been more amazed by the landscapes of this country so I was in awe already.






Posted by Picasa

Also good news: The weekend was a great weekend for spanish. All of the tours we went on were in Spanish and it was a great opportunity to practice with strangers. We met people from all over the world including Spain, Argentina, and there was a German guy who spoke Chilean spanish. It was all very interesting and I was so proud of myself. I understood almost everything just as well as my friends (maybe even better).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...