10.24.2010

Lima Centro y Museo Nacional AFROPeruana

This week's excursion into the the city (or outside of my neighborhood) was to the center of Lima. Technically I don't really think it's the center of Lima anymore but when Lima was a small city it was the hub of all activity. You can definitely tell it's one of the oldest parts. A friend and I started at the Plaza de Armas and just explored then went to the Museo. It's a really busy and beautiful part of the city. It's very crowded and touristy but easy to get to on a micro. The buildings in the Plaza are this bright yellow and all the churches and buildings are so pretty and colonial. It reminded me alot of Cusco, which shouldn't be surprising.



This is my friend Lexie in front of the Museum



These are instruments and a scary festival outfit and mask. It's not meant to be derogatory.

An instrument-cow jaw. The teeth are loose so it makes a rattling sound.


A photo of a "madre de leche" (a wet nurse)

These are all the different mixes of white and black-basically different degrees and categories. Very complicated and interesting. It also applies to the Indian (Andean) people and white. "White" here is most specifically Spaniard.

This is a church...with lots of pigeons.

We had a very delicious lunch for only S/18 (about $6) but this Tres Leches cake was the best I've ever had. I've been dreaming about it ever since!


La Iglesia de Santa Rosa de Lima- It's the church of Santa Rosa of Lima. She's a big deal here. Her holiday was in September I think.



"and until the lions have their own historians, the history will glorify the hunter"
This was in the Afro Peruvian Museum. I think it's kind of...heavy. Good food for thought.
Oh yeah! We got a free tour in the museum (we were the only ones there) so it was personal. We did it in Spanish and I understood most of the guy! I felt really good. I can understand tremendously more than I can speak. Lexie and I also tried to speak more Spanish to each other...it didn't last very long but it helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...