2.06.2011

Ruinas Italicas

As part of my committment to trying to absorb everything about Spain this semester, I have decided to attend all (or most) cultural activities offered by my program. My program organizes and offers cultural excursions. They're generally very interesting, well lead, and most importantly, paid for whether I go or not. So I decided to go and considered it a productive way to procrastinate for the test I had the next day.



This is the entrance to the theatre.









On Thursday we went to some ruins of what once was an Italian city. I won't bore you with the history stuff because what I find is that you really can't care unless you're there. The place didn't take up alot of space because it's an archeological site and everything isn't uncovered. Most of the city is and always will be buried. There's now a pueblo on top of it.

Just like in all of Spain, the Italians liked intricate mosaics in their homes. What you see is what was there thousands of years ago. Many of the mosaics we saw had to do with greek mythology or were just really cool design.



All in all it was really interesting and I'm glad I went. It's really interesting how well built and planned ancient civilizations were. In this day and age we think we're more intelligent because of technology and ivy league schools but these people had a rhyme and reason for everything. Going to places like these reminds me that intelligence has nothing to do with technology but has everything to do with innovation and creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...